Extended car warranties can be a useful precautionary measure for any car owner. Your factory car warranty can only protect you for a limited period of time, usually 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first). If you own certain car brands, you might get up to 5 or 6 years of warranty.
Best car makers to consider for a longer bumper to bumper warranty
- Volkswagen offers bumper to bumper warranty for 6 years/72,000 miles
- Mitsubishi: 5 years/60,000 miles
- Genesis: 5 years/60,000 miles
- Hyundai: 5 years/60,000 miles
- Kia: 5 years/60,000 miles
- Jaguar: 5 years/60,000 miles
- Infiniti: 4 years/60,000 miles
- Tesla: 4 years/50,000 miles
Extended car warranties help you save money that you would otherwise spend on unexpected car breakdowns. With a vehicle service contract (the proper name for extended car warranties), you get coverage for different parts/systems of your car or even coverage that is extremely similar to your bumper to bumper warranty. In case the covered parts need to be repaired/replaced, your extended car warranty provider will pay the bill for the repairs.
Best 10 extended car warranty companies to consider
- Autopom!This company’s name stands for Automotive Peace Of Mind and it is one of the most renowned extended car warranty providers in the United States. It covers both the US and Canada and has some of the most comprehensive plans you can find in this industry. Autopom! offers 20 plans and its mileage restrictions are as follows: In California they cover cars that are up to 10 years old and have up to 120,000 miles and in most of the other states, cars that are up to 15 years old and have up to 200,000 miles on them
- Endurance. This company covers the entire United States and Canada and offers up to 5 years of coverage or up to 160,000 miles, whichever comes first; they offer 24/7 road assistance and the possibility to pay in 24 monthly installments
- Warranty Direct. This company is another reputable name in the extended car warranty industry. Its main selling points are: the above the average 60-day money back guarantee, the excellent customer support and 9 coverage options that cover vehicles that are up to 5 years old and have 100,000 miles on the meter
- CARCHEX. It is one of the most experienced companies in this industry; CARCHEX was founded 20 years ago and covers cars for a maximum period of 7 years. It has one of the best mileage restrictions in the industry: it covers vehicles that have up to 225,000 miles on them
- AA Auto Protection. AA Auto Protection has a lot of available plans, more than 20 in total. They offer coverage for up to 6 years/100,000 miles and offer a top-notch customer support
- This is an acronym for American Standard Auto Protection. This company offers coverage for up to 6 years and offers extended car warranty for vehicles that have up to 160,000 miles. ASAP covers the United States and Canada and has an extended payment period (you can pay in 36-months installments).
- Delta Auto.Delta Auto operates in the entire United States and Canada and has one of the smallest deductibles on the market, only $50. Delta Auto’s selling points are its generous reimbursement for rentals, free towing with all its plans, locksmith on-call and fuel assistance.
- Protect My Car. This company extends payment to 42 monthly installments and offers extended car warranty for cars that are up to 10 years old and have less than 125,000 miles on them
- This company operates in the US and covers cars that are only 2 years old (have 24,000 miles on them). It offers coverage for up to 5 years/120,000 miles. They have 4 plans to choose from and charge a $100 deductible.
- Toco. Toco is popular thanks to its affordable plans and the fact that it requires no down payment. Among the benefits included with Toco you get trip interruption, roadside assistance, rental car benefits, which are all available with all their plans.