Investing time, passion and money in a perfectly built website is useless, if your website doesn’t rank as high as possible on search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and so on. It is just like having superhero abilities and never using them for anything.
This is where SEO (search engine optimization) comes in. SEO helps you not just improve your site’s visibility, but also make things easier for all users out there, in search of various information.
Here are some tips you should use in order to have a more visible and user-friendly website.
- Keywords are the key. Include them in the URL address, within your content and even in the design of your site. Use them for images, in the title, slogans, meta descriptions, tags (H1, H2, H3), bullet points, footer links, links that are internal and so on. Make sure and place them in as many different places as possible, but do it strategically and don’t abuse them. Also, if necessary, add the location of your business/offered services in your keywords.
- Use SEO-friendly URLs. A good URL is one that is not too long and doesn’t contain too many types of symbols, numbers, etc. Avoid too many categories and separate them through hyphens and not underscores.
Example of a poorly chosen URL: https://your_domain_com/products/category/?p=334621
Example of a good URL: https: //your-domain-name.com/category/item
- Don’t forget about title-tags for all the pages of your website, meta-descriptions and ALT attributes.
All these three are very important SEO tools.
The title tag is usually a short sentence that describes your domain. The title tag appears on social media, in browsers, SERPs (search engine result pages) and other places. Make sure it is short, relevant and as authentic as possible.
Meta-descriptions are the sentences that appear in browsers, right under the title-tag. The meta- description should have somewhere around 160 characters.
The ALT attributes should be used to better describe the images you add. The reason for that is that search engines don’t actual read the images, but the ALT text associated with them.
Do your research and learn how to use all of them correctly.
- Stay away from ‘black hat SEO techniques'. When talking about SEO, there are 2 types of strategies you can use: white hat and black hat ones. White hat strategies are all the legal, ethical and generally accepted ones and they translate into higher ranking, better traffic and so on. Black hat ones on the other side, are deceptive, manipulative and spamming and can get you in trouble. They used to work better in the past, but nowadays, search engines have really improved their algorithms and can quickly detect and sanction them. Examples of black hat techniques: keyword spamming, buying or selling links, article spinning, hiding content, using mirror pages and more.
- Create a responsive website that works flawlessly on all types of devices
- Use internal links. They can make things easier for users who navigate your website and they also tempt them to spend more time on your site, when providing further reading material.
- Make a XML sitemap. XML maps of your website are helpful for search engines, because they can better understand how your website is structured.
Overall we have found that there are many different ways to setup different websites and have found that SiteBuilder is one of the best tools out there for ease of use. Although not our top rated product it is in the top five and we have found that it is a great tool for those people who would like to quickly build an SEO friendly site and don't have a lot of technical expertise. Take a read of our SiteBuilder Review and let us know what you think of the product.