No matter what kind of device you are using to go online, be it a smartphone, a laptop or a desktop computer, you have to make sure you are protected all the time. The internet is a marvellous invention, but it is also one that carries many risks and they are constantly growing, as the online environment keeps developing. There are a lot of cyber-criminals out there who are as skilful as they are evil-minded and your personal data and identity can always be targets for them.
VPNs are great tools that help make our online experience broader and safer. They help you in maintaining your privacy, anonymity and they protect you from any online threats, especially when you are using unsafe, public WiFi networks to go online.
But VPNs do a lot more than just protect you: they also unlock restricted content for you (such as streaming platforms like Netflix), they make torrenting safer for you and more.
What to look for in a VPN?
There are many factors to consider when choosing a VPN provider. And in addition to those general rules of the thumb, it is also wise to establish your priorities before signing up for a VPN. Do you just need the VPN for a one-time use or do you want one for constant use? Do you need it more for privacy, streaming locked content or for torrenting? All these factors matter, because some VPNs shine in one area, but may be bad or mediocre in others.
Once you know what you want to use your VPN for, you should also consider the following:
- Choose a VPN that doesn’t slow your connection by much (it should have good results in speed tests)
- Choose a VPN that has servers in many locations on the globe
- Make sure your VPN has a no-logs/zero-logs policy and respects your privacy
- Make sure the VPN provider uses top-notch security tools such as a kill switch feature, 256-bit AES encryption, supports all the common protocols, has DNS leak protection and so on
- If that’s important to you, don’t ignore the number of simultaneous devices allowed. You should at least be allowed to use 3 or 5, although some providers even offer 7 or an unlimited number of devices
- Make sure the VPN has dedicated apps for all the common devices/operating systems
ZenMate Overview - Is it a good VPN provider to consider?
ZenMate is a VPN provider headquartered in Berlin, Germany. It was developed in 2014 and it offers both free and paid plans. ZenMate currently has more than 47 million users using its VPN.
The free plan offers only 4 servers and a maximum speed of 2 MB/s. But even though it is free, it still respects your privacy and has a 100% no-logs policy.
The paid plans are 3 in number with the most affordable one being the 2-year plan, which is priced at only $2.30/month.
Main features of ZenMate
- Free 7-day trial
- Free plan
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Servers in more than 30 countries worldwide, including Europe, Canada, US, Brazil, Hong Kong, Australia, Japan, Singapore, South Africa and other locations
- Apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Opera
- Up to 5 simultaneous devices allowed
- A no-logs policy
- An easy, quick, ‘one-click’ setup process
- Good speed results
- The ability to unblock geo-restrictions (it works with Netflix)
- P2P friendly