You might wonder what’s with this whole virtual private network madness and why should you use a VPN. The truth is that the internet is not necessarily a safe and friendly place. While it does offer a lot of great opportunities and comes with its indisputable benefits, it also carries its risks.
Internet safety should be everyone’s number 1 priority. Every time you go online, your address, contact info, etc., are exposed, unless you take any kind of measures to protect them. And you are at an even higher risk when you connect from a public WiFi network.
What a VPN can do for you
There are various measures you can take to ensure you are more protected when you are connected to the internet: use strong passwords, double authentication, specialized Internet Security software and more. VPNs are also a great way to stay anonymous online and maintain your privacy.
A VPN works by encrypting all your internet traffic, between the device you are using to connect to the internet and the VPN server you connect to. In order for that data to be encrypted, virtual private networks use specialized protocols. If you have ever used a VPN, you’ve most likely heard about VPN protocols (such as OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec and so on). Read more about VPN protocols.
In addition to keeping you secure, virtual private networks do a lot more useful things for you:
- They can protect your identity and real location when you are downloading torrents
- They can help you watch Netflix and use other streaming services that might be locked in your country
- They can help you purchase cheaper plane tickets. More about that here.
PrivateVPN is a Swedish-based VPN provider that keeps growing in popularity thanks to its appealing set of features. So far, it has more than 44K customers. PrivateVPN is a relatively small VPN service, when it comes to number of servers. It doesn’t have thousands of available servers such as major players (NordVPN, ExpressVPN). PrivateVPN only has a bit over 100 servers, but they cover all the important areas, which is a good thing. While having a large number of servers is important, too, it is even more important to have them spread on as large as an area as possible.
PrivateVPN has servers in 59 countries and it covers Europe, Africa, the Middle East, the Americas and Asia Pacific.
The most important features of PrivateVPN
Whenever looking for a VPN, you consider some general aspects such as coverage, speed, number of available devices allowed simultaneously, the ability to unlock geo-restricted content, whether the provider is P2P friendly or not, whether the provider keeps traffic logs on its users.
Here are the most important features of PrivateVPN:
- It offers a full 30-day money back guarantee
- It is among the fastest VPNs you can find. PrivateVPN has obtained impressive results in terms of download speeds (over 53 Mbit/sec), it can be used for streaming HD and when gaming
- PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs and it states on its website that “your personal details are never shared with anyone”; it has a ‘zero logging’ policy
- PrivateVPN is compatible with most devices and OS: Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Linux
- This VPN provider allows up to 6 simultaneous connections , which is way above the average of 3
- PrivateVPN offers unlimited bandwidth, unlimited speed and unlimited speed switches
- PrivateVPN offers several protocols, including OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, IKEv2, IPSec
- PrivateVPN has strong security features. It uses 2048-bit encryption with AES-256
- It has a very user-friendly interface. It is easy to set up and use on any device
- It is P2P friendly and allows torrenting on pretty much all their servers
- So far, PrivateVPN has managed to work with Netflix and can bypass censorship. How long that lasts (especially when it comes to Netflix), remains to be seen
PrivateVPN doesn’t offer a free trial, but it does come with a 30-day money back guarantee, in case you are not pleased with their service.
This VPN service offers 3 pricing plans: 1-month plan, 3 months plan and 13 months plan. At the time of writing this article, the 1 month plan was billed with $7.67/month, the 3 months plan at $4.88/month and the 13 months plan, at $3.82/month.