The best way to choose between two products or services, is to put them one against the other and compare them based on all the major criteria: affordability, features, ease of use, support, performance and so on.
The market is flooded with VPN providers and they are all trying to stay in the game by offering appealing features and hot deals. Here are the most iomportant things to consider when choosing a VPN:
- number of servers and how they are spread. The more servers a VPN service offers, the better. It is also important for those servers to be spread in as many locations on the Globe as possible
- speed. The download and upload speeds are very important when connecting through a VPN, especially given the fact that VPNs are known to slow down your device
- no bandwidth limitations
- reliable and available customer support, preferably on a 24/7 basis
NordVPN and PureVPN are both major players on the VPN market. They both bring competitive features on the table, are fast, reliable and offer good coverage. In this article, we are going to give you the main features for both NordVPN and PureVPN, as well as the main disadvantages for each of them.
Here are the most important features included by NordVPN
- NordVPN is from Panama, which is a privacy-friendly country. This VPN has an impressive number of servers and locations across the Globe. It has more than 5,000 servers and it manages to cover all the important areas in the world: Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, New Zeeland, Africa, Hong Kong (37 servers) and more. NordVPN has servers in over 60 countries worldwide
- It is affordable. NordVPN offers several pricing plans to choose from: a 1-month plan ($11.95/month), a 1-year plan, a 2-year plan and a 3-year plan ($2.99/month). It also offers a 30-day money back guarantee and a free 3-day trial. Among others, you can also pay with cryptocurrency
- NordVPN allows up to 6 connections at the same time
- It is versatile, offers support for a wide variety of devices: Windows PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices, Android TV, Linux, routers, and has extensions for Chrome and Firefox
- It has a zero-logs policy, meaning it protects your privacy and doesn’t keep your activity/connection logs
- It works with several protocols: IPSec/L2TP, IPSec/IKEv2, OpenVPN with TCP/UDP, PPTP, SSTP. The settings that allow you to change the protocols and easily accessible
- NordVPN uses AES-256 bit encryption, has a kill switch option, DNS Leak Protection and offers double encryption
- NordVPN allows torrenting, but unfortunately, only on approximately 40 servers
- It can unblock geo-restricted content, including Netflix. The servers that can unlock Netflix are located in the US, Canada, Netherlands and France
- NordVPN offers 24/7 customer support through live chat. Their customer support continues to remain flawless, they have quick response times and knowledgeable reps
- It is a fast VPN, but not with all their servers. Some are disappointingly slow
Here are the most important features included by PureVPN
- PureVPN is based in Hong Kong, which so far is a data retention laws - free country. It has over 2,000 servers worldwide, in more than 140 countries. PureVPN has servers in all areas on the Globe: North/Central/South America, Asia (including China), Oceania, Europe and 150 in Africa
- PureVPN is reasonably priced. It has 3 plans to choose from: a 1 month plan ($10.95/month), a 1 year plan and a 5 years plan ($2.99/month). It has a lot of payment methods, including credit cards, PaymentWall, PayPal, Alipay, several cryptocurrencies. See all their pricing plans here
- PureVPN has a 31-day money back guarantee, but unfortunately, it doesn’t offer a free trial
- PureVPN allows up to 5 simultaneous connections/account
- It has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Android TV, Firestick TV. It has a Kodi add-on, it has support for routers and extensions for Chrome and Mozilla Firefox
- Protocols supported: OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP, SSTP, PPTP
- It uses AES-256 bit encryption, it has a kill switch feature, NAT firewall, split tunneling
- It does keep some connection logs on its users
- It has a very user-friendly interface, it is easy to set up and use
- It is P2P friendly and allows torrenting on more than 200 servers
- Can unblock US Netflix
- It is really fast and has optimized servers for torrenting, gaming and streaming, which improves speed, because you can connect to the best server depending on your need
NordVPN vs. PureVPN: Comparison
NordVPN is good in terms of speed, but its performance varies drastically depending on the server. PureVPN is overall faster.
Although it is an affordable VPN, compared to PureVPN, NordVPN is a bit pricier.
Compared to PureVPN, NordVPN has servers in fewer countries: 62 vs. 140.
PureVPN offers only 5 simultaneous connections, while NordVPN allows 6.
PureVPN has a 31-day money back guarantee, NordVPN has a 30-day money back guarantee.
NordVPN offers a 3-day free trial, while PureVPN doesn’t offer one.
PureVPN does keep some logs on its users and there have been some cases in the past in which it exposed its customers’ activity logs. NordVPN has a no logging policy.