While they do have some controversy regarding their importance and usefulness, registry cleaners are still a very popular category of utility software. The registry database is a basic component of any Windows operated device, because that’s where all important configurations and settings are made for all the programs installed on the computer.
And because we perform countless operations of installing, uninstalling, copying and deleting various files, software and so on every day, in time, that leads to cluttering our machines and hindering their performance. Registry cleaners and PC optimizers are developed precisely to help us fix that problem and do a little ‘house cleaning’.
They get rid of all the duplicates, outdated and useless database entries.
If you are not sure about investing in a registry cleaner for your PC, you could try and use a free one at first, since there are plenty of options. If you then feel like upgrading to a paid version, you can always do it. Here are 5 of the best registry cleaners on the market right now:
1. CCleaner by Piriform is by far the most popular and downloaded such freeware. It is very user friendly, easy to download and works on basically all versions, from Windows 98 to Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10. It is a safe and trustworthy program and it will also urge you to make a backup of your registry database before making any kind of changes.
2. Auslogics Registry Cleaners. This program is also free and very easy to use. It has a simple design and works by creating categories for the registry files it scans and coloring them depending on their degree of severity. This way you know which ones deserve more attention and which ones don’t. Auslogics is compatible with Windows XP and Vista (32-bit) and Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit), 8 and 10.
3. JetClean. While not as transparent as its competitors, JetClean is very fast in doing its job. It performs an emergency registry backup and deep scans in a matter of seconds. Some users might be annoyed by the toolbar that the program tries to install, but if you know about it ahead of time and pay attention, you can choose to decline it when you install JetClean. The program works on Windows 2000 and higher and it supports 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
4. SlimCleaner. You will see a solid resemblance with CCleaner and this program. It is very complex and has a lot of useful tools. It creates a backup before making any changes and it also allows you to go back to a previous version. Its only drawback would be the fact that it doesn’t offer that many filtering options and the first time you have to manually uncheck the boxes for temporary files, cache, history and so on, before cleaning the registry. However, SlimCleaners remembers your preferences for the next time. The program is compatible with Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10.
5. EasyCleaner. It is one of the oldest cleaners you’ll find but it is also trustworthy. It is not as fast as other competitors and it has a simple and a bit outdated interface, but it does a good job and it is free. It works with even the oldest versions of Windows, from Windows 95, 98 to Windows 7, 8 and 10, though you might experience some problems with it in Windows 10.
If you have tried these ones and haven't found a very good improvment on your system it might be worth taking the plunge and buying a paid program. We have reviewed a lot of registry cleaners and have found that Advanced System Repair pro has the best reviews. Although you do have to pay you get a lot more than just a registry cleaner and you can take a look at our complete review here.