One of the unintended consequences of the Covid19 pandemic is people finding ways to do their work and studies through the computer in their home. This phenomenon caused a sudden massive increase in both home computers and internet usage all over the globe.
And when such a large number of people begin to do the same thing, there will bound to be some people who would take advantage of it and engage in criminal activity. And as expected, as the number of users who use computers at home increases, so does cybercrime activity.
Now, more than ever, robust home cybersecurity is needed. But with so many companies and brands to choose from, things could get confusing. When it comes to security for your home computer, Bitdefender has always ranked at the top of the list made by numerous security experts. This article will give you a deeper insight into Bitdefender.
Bitdefender is a security suite for your computer that covers everything from virus and malware protection to providing you with a VPN service to protect your identity online. Bitdefender offers a complete solution for all of your cybersecurity needs.
Bitdefender is a Romanian-based cybersecurity company that was established in 2001 by its current CEO, Florin Talpes. Bitdefender's HQ is in Bucharest but they also have offices all around the world, such as in the United States, Europe, etc.
In the span of two decades since its inception, Bitdefender has become one of the biggest cybersecurity companies with a product that always consistently sits in a top ten list of best security suites by numerous experts.
- Protection against malware, spyware, and adware. Bitdefender has received praise and awards from numerous computer and security publications for the stellar performance of their malware, spyware, and adware protection. They have a comprehensive database of every type of malware, spyware, and adware, and their full scan and real-time protection have the capability to easily identify those threats in your system. In our tests we found that Bitdefender did very well in our reviews.
- Multi-layered ransomware protection. With its advanced threat defense, Bitdefender has the ability to detect and quarantine ransomware before it has the chance to wreak havoc on your system. And as a precaution and to strengthen your security, they also have multi-layered protection set in place to make sure every type of ransomware is securely contained.
- Web protection. Not one to idly wait for the attack to happen, Bitdefender would actively protect you while you browse around the internet. The web protection features would look into your internet connection and the websites that you've currently accessed to give you real-time protection for any potential threats, such as phishing, exploits, malware-infested pages, etc
- VPN. For your anonymity and identity protection, Bitdefender also has a VPN in place. You could use it to safely browse the internet and gain access to blocked websites. And since you could mask your real location, you could also use the VPN to access geo-restricted content, such as videos from Netflix and other video streaming services.
- Safepay. For your financial and banking purposes, Bitdefender offers a feature called "SafePay". When turned on, it would detect whenever you access a banking website and you have the option to open the site through a highly secured browser called "SafePay". That way, you can rest assured knowing that every information is safe. You could tell Bitdefender to always open up Safepay automatically when you access such websites.
- Safe Files. Going back inside your computer, Bitdefender also has a complementary feature called "Safe Files". With this feature, you can select any files to be secured with Safe Files. Once said files are locked inside the Safe Files, it would be impossible to open nor edit the files without the password.
- Vulnerability scan. Other than its antivirus scanning capabilities, Bitdefender also has the ability to scan your computer for any possible vulnerability and security loopholes. This vulnerability may come from out-of-date Windows/drivers or any missing security patches.
- Password manager. Another complementary feature brought to you by Bitdefender is the Password Manager. Just like any other password manager, you can safely input your passwords in there and you only need to remember one master password.
- Free version. For those of you who wish to try Bitdefender but not quite sure whether it's a good fit or not, you could try its free version. It might not have as many features as the paid version, but it is still equipped with all the necessary features for keeping your computer secure.
- Multiplatform. Bitdefender is also available on multiple platforms. Other than Windows OS, you could also use Bitdefender on MacOS, and there's even a mobile version that is available for both smartphones with Android and Apple's iOS.
- Easy to use. No matter which platform you install Bitdefender on, one thing remains the same, it will be easy to use. Bitdefender strives to make its user interface as easy and intuitive as possible. That way, a new user would easily find the information that they are looking for and do what he intends to do without having to read a comprehensive user manual guide.
- Quite expensive. Bitdefender has multiple pricing plans to suit your particular needs. Whether you are a home user or a business, Bitdefender has suitable pricing plans for you. That being said, when compared to similar products and services from its competitors, Bitdefender tends to be more expensive than the rest.
- Mediocre VPN and Password Manager. As mentioned before, Bitdefender has a VPN and Password Manager as complementary features for its user. Unfortunately, these features are not as robust as other alternatives that are solely focused on such services. So if such features are important to you, you are better off using a company that specializes in those fields.
As you find yourself having to use the computer and internet more and more every day, a need for a robust security system to keep you and your data safe is no longer an option, but rather a necessity. There are lots of products out there that claim to be the best, but it is always a good decision to choose something that has been recognized by experts in their field.
And the one that always placed high in the ranking compiled by those experts is Bitdefender. With its advanced protection, Bitdefender would keep you secure whether you are online or offline. There might be things that could be improved upon, but when it comes to your cybersecurity needs, Bitdefender is truly one of the best in the market right now.