Antivirus programs are not enough this day and age. There are a lot of other threats out there besides viruses, and they can all affect your system: adware, bots, spyware and more. In simpler terms, malware represents any type of malicious software (hence the name).
If your antivirus doesn’t also include an anti-malware feature, it is best to install one separately, in order to increase protection.
Here are some of the best free antimalware programs you can try in 2018:
- Bitdefender Antivirus (the Free Edition). The good thing about it is that is really easy to install and it is really unobtrusive, you just install it without going through questions or several steps, and it runs silently, finding and getting rid of any malware. The bad thing about it is that it doesn’t have any settings so you don’t really have control over it
- AVG Antivirus (the Free version). AVG also has a free version and it is also easy to use. Unlike Bitdefender, AVG is more customizable. A really useful thing about it is that it lets you scan your computer remotely, using your smartphone. On the downside, AVG can be a bit annoying in terms of vocal notifications, pop-ups, etc.
- Malwarebytes (the Free Version). Malwarebytes offers a free version and a paid one (the Premium version). The paid one includes a 14-day free trial, with access to all the features. After the trial expires, you have to pay in order to keep having access to all the premium features. However, Malwarebytes comes in a free unlimited version too. The free version is good at removing malware from your computer, but it doesn’t have real-time protection or on-demand scans. While the free version is impressively effective at identifying and removing all kinds of threats, such as adware, spyware and more, if you want to benefit of the complete list of features and real time protection, you should upgrade to the paid version
- Comodo Antivirus. Comodo offers multi-layered protection and deals impressively with complicate malware. It has a straightforward interface and a lot of advanced features
- TotalAV is another great anti-malware tool and it is also free. It includes real time protection and it fights against all the harmful programs you can think of: adware, ransomware, spyware, etc. It is compatible with Windows, Apple, iPhones and Android devices
- SpyBot Search & Destroy. SpyBot exists on the market since the year 2000. The free version is more of a repairing program meant to detect malware and fix any issues. However, it doesn’t scan for viruses, you need to purchase the paid Home version for that. SpyBot is user-friendly, but scans and updates are a bit slow. If you decide to try the SpyBot, you have to be careful where you download it from, because there are a lot of fake versions on the Internet that will only damage your computer.