Choosing a web host for your website can be a daunting task. There are so many providers out there, that it is almost impossible to analyze them all to see which one is better for your needs.
A bad web host can affect you in several ways: it can be bad for SEO and your profit, because of frequent downtimes, it can give you a lot of headaches if your provider doesn’t offer backups. If your security is compromised, you want to make sure you can easily restore your website at any time.
Main types of hosting
The most common types of web hosting are shared hosting, dedicated web hosting, VPS (virtual private server) hosting, cloud hosting.
Tips to consider when choosing a web host
There are several important aspects to consider when browsing for a web host. Here are the most important ones:
- Establish your hosting needs. In order to figure that, you should ask yourself a few questions, like: what kind of website you’ll have, will it be for a big business, a blog, a personal one, etc.? What kind of traffic do you expect? Knowing exactly what you need will make it easier for you to choose a certain type of hosting. Shared hosting is usually suited for small and medium websites, VPS is for fast-growing websites, dedicated hosting is the most complex type and is also the most expensive
- Look for a provider that offers upgrading options, in case your website continues to grow and needs a different type of hosting
- Make sure the web host has good uptime scores
- Make sure the provider offers regular backups, in case your data is ever lost
- Choose a web host that offers good, reliable customer support
- Aim for a provider that offers as many addon domains as possible. At least 50 would be great
JustHost is a web hosting service currently owned by Endurance International Group. JustHost has been on the market since 2008 and it offers shared hosting, VPS hosting and dedicated server hosting.
JustHost has 3 available plans for shared hosting: Basic, Plus and Prime.
Basic is $3.91/month and includes the following features:
- Space: 50GB
- Websites: 1
- Unmetered bandwidth
- 1 domain and 25 subdomains
- 5 email accounts; 100 MB storage per email account
Plus is $6.87/month and includes the following:
- Space: 150GB
- Websites: 10
- 1 domain and 50 subdomains
- 100 email accounts and 500 MB storage per account
- $150 in marketing offers
- Spam prevention: 1 SpamExperts
Prime is currently priced just like Plus but it includes more:
- Unlimited websites, space and bandwidth
- 1 domain and unlimited sub domains
- Unlimited email accounts and storage
- Marketing offers: $200
- Privacy protection and backup protection
There is also the option to choose a 4th plan, which is PRO. The Pro plan includes everything found in the Prime plan, but on a higher performance server. You also get Dedicated IP, SSL certificate, domain privacy and site backup. The Pro version goes for $14.71/month.
JustHost offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
One of the best things about JustHost is the fact that it has a very user-friendly cPanel and the included drag and drop website builder is free and easy to use.
The fact that you get unlimited storage, bandwidth, email accounts and a free domain with the shared hosting is also something note-worthy. All the plans for shared hosting are really affordable and you get at least $150 in ad credits (Bing and Google) or more, no matter what plan you choose.
JustHost is also scalable, you can also opt for one of their VPS hosting plans, 4 in number: Standard, Enhanced, Premium, Ultimate.
Dedicated hosting comes with 3 plans: Standard, Enhanced, Premium. See prices and details here.
In terms of ecommerce features, JustHost offers plenty of options to choose from: Agora shopping cart, Cube Cart, Zen Cart and more.
Most apps are easy to install with the single-click installer.
One possible drawback with JustHost is the fact that they don’t give any uptime guarantee number, like most competitors (the industry standard is 99.9%). While they do offer performing servers with up to quad-core processors, the better ones are not included with shared hosting, which only offers a ‘standard performance’. That means you can expect to experience downtimes. Tests show only a 99.5% uptime for JustHost, which is not the best score.
Another annoying thing about JustHost is the aggressive upsells practice. If you sign up for this web host, expect to get harassed quite often.
Customer support on the other hand is more reliable with JustHost. They offer 24/7 customer support, via phone, mail or live chat. For live chat you can expect an average waiting time of 30 seconds, which is decent in our opinion. The support is US based and you also have access to helpful resources on their website.
There are pros and cons with JustHost and depending on your expectations and needs, this web hosting service may or may not be for you. JustHost is not expensive, is very user-friendly and does offer a few attractive freebies. On the other hand, there are some performance issues that are not easy to overlook. Uptime is not the best and you can find better providers when it comes to regular backups.