Today’s parents don’t have it easy. Most of them have 2 jobs: their 9 to 5, cash earning one and the job of caring for their spawns, which is also a full time one. And not everybody affords a baby sitter.
Baby monitors are the perfect solution for such parents, because they act as an electronic nanny, helping you constantly watch over your baby, while still doing your chores around the house or taking some time off to relax.
Baby monitors have evolved tremendously since they first appeared on the market. They now come in various types and are loaded with smart features that make your parenting job so much easier. Baby monitors can be extremely helpful little gadgets, with WiFi, HD video capabilities, apps that let you control them directly from your smartphone and more.
What to consider when buying a baby monitor
There are various factors to have in mind when shopping for baby monitors, but we are just going to give you a few essential tips to follow:
- If in your budget, opt for a video baby monitor rather than a simple audio one. Video monitors can now deliver crystal HD quality images that let you see how your baby is doing 24/7 without making constant trips to their room and back
- WiFi capability is an important feature, as it allows you to connect the baby monitor to your smartphone, tablet or other such portable device and they can act as the receiver
- Check out the frequency of the baby monitor and try to aim for at least 900MHz if you want to minimize interferences with other devices near by
- A low battery indicator that is clear and visible is also essential, if you want to ensure your baby monitor doesn’t die on you when you need it the most
- Sound activated light is a great feature as well. It wakes up the device any time it detects noise coming from your baby
- Look for a system that offers more than one receiver or at least the possibility to buy additional receivers, in case you want both you and your husband/wife or another person to be able to watch the baby at the same time
Safety 1st HD baby monitor – Is it any good?
The company that released the Safety 1st baby monitor is based in the US and has been around for 30 years. It specializes in child safety products and home safety items in general.
The Safety 1st baby monitor has both video and audio capabilities, WiFi and some other useful features.
The monitor has 2 items: the audio unit and the camera unit. The Safety 1st baby monitor delivers a HD 720p video quality at 30fps.
The camera unit has only 2 buttons on it (for pairing the unit and one for reset) and the USB port in the back. The audio looks just like a hockey puck and it is wireless. It comes with a rechargeable battery and the battery life of the system is approx. 12 hours. The audio unit has a 1.5W speaker and a built-in microphone for two-way communication. There is also a blue LED light that blinks when sound or motion are detected.
How does it work? The Safety 1st app
In order for you to use the baby monitor, you have to download the Safety 1st app which is compatible with iOS and Android devices. You create an account and pair the camera. The audio unit will pair automatically once you turn the camera on.
The app comes with several useful features: you can share access and add new members, you can adjust the motion and audio sensitivity, the video quality and more.
Safety 1st allows you to keep video recordings of your baby in your cloud account for free for 24 hours. If you want to keep them for good, you have to download them. You can download them from the app.
Motion and audio detection
The motion and audio detection feature of the baby monitor are some of its biggest strengths. Whenever the baby monitor detects motion or noise, they will be picked up by the audio unit and you will be alerted visually and via sound. The LED on the audio unit will also start to glow.
As we’ve already mentioned it, the Safety 1st baby monitor offers HD video quality. It also has night vision up to 15 feet. The sound quality is just as good and everything can be heard clearly whether it is you speaking or your baby.
The Safety 1st baby monitor is indeed a smart gadget and offers extraordinary video and audio quality. The WiFi capability and the smartphone control are also great, as are the motion and audio detection features. The only functions missing on the Safety 1st are sensors for measuring the temperature and humidity in the baby’s room and included lullabies, but we don’t see these shortcomings as being deal breakers in any way.
You can purchase the Safety 1st baby monitor for $150. In this price you get one camera unit and one audio unit. You can opt to purchase just the camera, for only $113.