Rollators or rollator walkers, as they are also called, can be great mobility devices for people who need some additional support when walking. They are just like a simple walker, but with wheels, usually 2, 3 or 4 and most of them also have a basket for carrying different things, hand brakes, a seat and even back or armrests.
They are more expensive than regular walkers, but also more useful, because you don’t have to lift them to move them, they just need to be pushed and the wheels will do the rest.
Rollators can be used on basically all types of surfaces, indoors and outdoors and there are a lot of models that are foldable, so you can store them or transport them easily.
What to consider when choosing a rollator?
- Number of wheels; rollators with 2 wheels are mostly useful for those who need some help with their balance and also to support some of their weight; 3 and 4-wheeled rollators are more helpful for those who don’t need to rely on the rollator to support their weight
- Make sure you choose the right size for you
- The material of the grip is important, too; it can be plastic or rubber in most cases; rubber grips are better to prevent you from losing hold of the grip, but they might get sweaty faster; plastic is better when it comes to sweaty hands
- If you need a more portable rollator, you might also want to go with a foldable one;
- What kind of features are included: some rollators come with handbrakes, a basket to carry your items, a seat bench, a back rest; choose a rollator that includes the features that are the most important to you
Best rollators to consider in 2019
Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style. The Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style is available in 3 colors: black, red and white. The price varies depending on the color: the most affordable one is the black one and can be purchased for $193. The white model is priced at $215 and the red model costs $220.
This rollator is a collapsible 4-wheeled device, which means you can store it and transport it easily when necessary. The rollator has a durable aluminum frame, which is solid but very light. The handles are height adjustable and so is the removable back. It has 10-inch front wheels, hand brakes, a comfortable nylon seat and a zippered storage bag that is removable.
The rollator weighs around 17.5 pounds and measures 23 X 27.8 X 33.5 inches.
Hugo Portable Rollator Walker with Seat. This is another popular rollator to consider. It has a price of $110 on Amazon and, as the name suggests it, it is an easily portable rollator. It has 4 wheels (8-inch), a backrest and a seat, a weight capacity of 300 lbs. and fits most people between 5’ to 6’2” inches. It measures 27 x 24.5 x 32 inches (assembled and open).
There’s a useful under seat storage bag included and the rollator is easily foldable.
Medline Premium Empower. The Medline Premium Empower is another 4-wheeled rollator worthy of your consideration. It can be purchased for approximately $130 and includes pretty much all the accessories you might need. It has a comfortable memory foam seat, brakes, armrests and a backrest. There’s an adjustable and foldable cup holder included, a removable storage tote bag, reflective tape and a tray organizer.
The rollator supports up to 300 lbs. and it fits people from 4’11” to 6’4”. It is equipped with 8-inch wheels.
The Medline Premium Empower is also very light, weighing only 17 lbs.
In addition to the Premium version, Medline has 3 other models available: the Basic Steel Rollator, the Freedom Ultralight Rollator and the Steel Bariatric Rollator.
Other rollators to consider: Nova Vibe 6, Healthline Elite aluminum Rollator, Carex Rolling Walker.