Massage chairs are somewhat of a controversial product. Some people are skeptical about receiving a massage from a machine and prefer to book a massage session at a professional human therapist.
Most complex and professional massage chairs are quite pricey, which is another deal breaker for some.
Why should you get a massage chair
On the other hand though, massage chairs keep increasing in popularity, as more and more people feel on their own body and health the benefits of owning such a device. As technology has evolved, massage chairs have become more and more advanced, smarter and more efficient. They are able to provide several massage techniques: Shiatsu, Swedish, kneading, tapping, etc., they come with several automatic programs, customizable features and so on. And while they are expensive purchases, on the long run, you get your money back, because you don’t longer have to spend your money on regular massage sessions at salons. Not to mention the convenience and privacy they offer, because what’s better than receiving a massage in the comfort of your own home?
Tips to consider when in the market for a massage chair
Price. You might think $1500 is a lot of money. Well, that’s true, but not when it comes to massage chairs. If you want to buy a decent massage chair, expect to pay from $1500 to even more than $6,000. Do your math and find out how much you can afford to spend and take it from there. If you find yourself closer to the lower limit, expect to sacrifice some features or to purchase a chair that uses an older technology. Newer, more complex chairs start from at least $2000-$2500.
The massage track of the chair. Massage chairs that use rollers usually fall in one of these 2 categories: L-track chairs and S-track chairs. Both refer to the track followed by the rollers.
L-track chairs are more expensive, because with this type of chair, the massage is extended all the way to your glutes. The S-track is pretty much a standard, and most chairs will be based on it. The S-track follows the curves of the spine. This type of track will massage your neck, back and lower back. Depending on your needs and budget, you can opt for one of the two.
How many rollers are there? Well, this is an easy one. The more rollers a chair has, the better. Most chairs will be equipped with quad-rollers and more expensive chairs use six-rollers. You’d be advised to stay away from older models which don’t even use rollers but instead they are equipped with massage balls or fixed massage heads. They are not as effective as rollers.
Features to consider
Here are the most important ones:
- Zero Gravity. It is the ability of the chair to recline so that your knees elevate above your heart. In this position your body weight is equally distributed and you’ll feel weightless. Massage chairs come with 1 to 3 zero-gravity positions. This feature is important for stress relief
- 3D body scan. Computer-based massage chairs sometimes include this feature. Before each massage session, the computer scans your entire body and adjusts the position of the rollers to fit your body and offer the best massage
- The more airbags, the better. Airbags are very beneficial because they improve circulation and relieve stress
- Massage styles/techniques. Massage chairs include various massage techniques, such as Shiatsu, tapping, rolling, kneading and others
- Built-in presets
- Controls for massage intensity and speed
- Built-in audio system so that you can also listen to music while getting a massage
Here are our top choices when it comes to massage chairs: http://www.bestreviewguide.com/en/reviews/health/best-massage-chairs/