Our feet are constantly working for us. From walking to jogging, or simply standing, barefoot or in high-heels or other uncomfortable shoes, all these involve our feet. So it is only natural to give them some time off and a little relaxing, rejuvenating treatment every now and then.
A good foot massage can do wonders not only for your feet but for your overall health, both physical and mental.
Here are some of the most important benefits of foot massages and what they can do for you:
- They help you relax. That is obviously the number one benefit of a foot massage. Whenever you feel tense, tired or just stressed out, give yourself a relaxing foot massage (or better yet, have someone else give it to you) and notice how you feel afterward. A foot massage can relax you, melt all the tension away and it can restore your calmness and good mood. It will help you reduce anxiety, depression and that’s not us talking, but science.
- Foot massages improve your circulation and reduce blood pressure. Poor circulation can manifest through cold feet (literally) or a sensation of numbness. Regular foot massage sessions are really effective in improving your circulation. Moreover, they also lower your blood pressure, which, if left untreated, can increase the risk of getting a heart attack or having a stroke. Your kidneys can also be affected by it. According to studies, reflexology (massage therapy that works by applying pressure on specific, key points in your feet and hands ) is really effective in lowering blood pressure
- They reduce migraines and headaches. Reflexology is also very useful in reducing or even healing headaches and migraines, after only 3 months of therapy
- They can improve your love life. Here’s one you might appreciate even more. A sensual foot massage can be a perfect foreplay and it can get your partner calm and in the mood. Feet are also erogenous zones so they can be a good starting point in the bedroom
- They are helpful for women with PMS and who are at menopause. They can both be really irritating, because they come with symptoms such as insomnia, irritability, fatigue, headaches, mood swings, hot flashes and even depression. Getting regular foot massages during this periods can be really useful
- They improve your sleep. Getting a foot massage before bedtime can really improve your sleep, because it will improve your circulation and it will relax the nerves. People who suffer from insomnia will find foot massages really useful
- They promote a healthier skin and healthier nails. This can be accomplished through the regular use of natural oils/essential oils on your feet, such as almond, lavender, tea tree or coconut, which are very good for your skin and nails, because they keep them hydrated and healthy
- They fight swollen legs. Both sitting and standing for too long is bad for your feet, because it can lead to fluid retention and can cause your feet to get swollen. Foot massages can reduce that swelling and even cure it in time. However, you should be aware that sometimes swollen feet can hide more serious problems, such as heart failure, liver or kidney disease and more. That is why it is important to go to a doctor to make sure everything is okay.