Walking has become underrated. This day and age we walk way less than we used to, we prefer to exercise only in the gym and use our car for almost all the trips we have to make.
How many diets have failed so far in your desperate endeavor to lose those extra pounds? Most of us only want to benefit from the results but are not willing to put in the effort. Does sticking to a strict diet, counting all your daily carbs and sweating your heart out in the gym, seem too hard for you? Well, you’re not alone in that. That is why we’re here to give you an easier alternative: walk your extra-pounds away. Walking can be a very efficient form of exercise and it is less exhausting than jogging, for instance. If done regularly, walking can really help you burn those extra calories and improve your overall health. Research shows that you burn around 150 calories during a half an hour walk. You can start with a 20 minute walk and and work your way up to 60 minutes/day, for better results.
Here are some tips on how to use walking to your advantage and include it in your everyday routine:
- If walking just for the sole purpose of losing weight seems like too much trouble and you don’t feel like you have the time to take any extra walks, try to simply include more walking into your normal schedule: for instance, when you do your errands or you have to buy your groceries, choose to walk rather than drive to your destination. During lunch break, choose to take a walk after your meal, rather than drinking coffee and chatting with your coworkers and if possible, lose the elevator and take the stairs instead
- Vary your pace and increase your walking speed. Once you get used to your daily walks, try to pick up the pace and increase your speed. Also, scientists recommend to alternate your walking speed, every few minutes, to burn more calories (you can burn up to 20% more calories this way than if you maintain the same rhythm)
- Don’t let the weather get in your way. It is very hard to stay motivated when the weather is not on your side. Be prepared for every scenario and don’t let heat or rain keep you inside. Dress accordingly and stick to your daily walks, regardless of the weather
- If you get bored, find someone to take the walks with. Walking can get boring after a while and you might be tempted to drop it because you’re not getting enough socializing. Find a walking buddy so that you’ll have someone to talk to, encourage and keep you motivated. You can do the same thing for them. Studies revealed that being part of a support group can help you achieve your goals easier. Start with one person and if you feel that’s not enough, join a group that shares your interests
- Make it a habit to drink a cup of green tea after every walk. Green tea helps you lose more pounds and recover faster after you exercise.