VoIP has become one of the most popular communication technologies of our days. It brings a lot of benefits with it, in terms of cost, user-friendliness, features, versatility and flexibility. Voice Over the Internet Protocol cuts down your costs considerably, thanks to the fact that it uses the internet to make calls, so it doesn’t rely on landlines anymore. That means smaller monthly bills and the freedom to make long-distance calls without the fear of breaking the bank.
VoIP can be used with just a computer/laptop/smartphone, from anywhere in the world, as long as you are signed up for a VoIP service and you have access to high-speed internet. You can also use a VoIP phone or your old analog phone, because there are adapters that make this possible.
While VoIP is more popular in the business setting, for obvious reasons, home users can also benefit from all its aforementioned advantages. There are many options when it comes to residential VoIP services and Vonage is definitely one of the best to consider.
What does Vonage have to offer?
Vonage has been offering cloud communication solutions since 2001. The company offers VoIP services for both businesses and residentials. Vonage is headquartered in New Jersey and currently has over 2.5 million users.
What are the Residential plans offered by Vonage?
There are three home plans offered by Vonage and all of them include premium VoIP calling features, the Vonage Box (you have to connect it to your router), free shipping and activation for all the customers who subscribe for at least 1 year. You can also keep your current phone number when you switch to Vonage. You have to wait for approximately 7 to 10 business days for the transfer to be made, time during which you will receive a temporary number from Vonage.
The 3 plans offered by Vonage are: North America, World and US & Canada 400.
North America is priced at $14.99 per month for the first 6 months, plus taxes and fees, if you opt for the 1-year agreement. You can also opt for the no contract price and pay $26.99 per month.
This plan includes unlimited calls to US, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico and free shipping and activation.
The World plan is priced at $19.99 per month for the first 6 months, plus taxes and fees, also with a 1-year agreement. If you go with the no contract option, you’ll pay $29.99 per month.
This plan gives you unlimited landline international VoIP calls in more than 60 countries worldwide, unlimited international calls to mobile in more than 10 countries worldwide. Free shipping and activation apply to this plan as well.
US & Canada 400 is the third residential plan offered by Vonage. This plan is priced at $14.99 per month for 12 months, with a 1-year agreement. It also includes free shipping and activation. The same price applies to the no contract option.
This plan includes 400 minutes per month to US, Canada and Puerto Rico, on both landlines and mobile.
VoIP features included with Vonage
Here are the most important features included with Vonage:
- Anonymous call block
- 3-way calling
- Call transfer, call return, call waiting, caller ID
- Do not disturb
- Enhanced call forwarding
- Special services numbers: 311 – public information center, 511-timely travel information and more
- Vonage online account; from your online account you can administrate your service; you can access the account from your desktop computer, laptop or directly from your smartphone
- Add-ons such as virtual number, dedicated fax line, add a line
- SimulRing, which lets you forward calls to 5 additional phones (desk phones, basic mobile phones or smartphones that don’t have the Extensions app)
- Boomerang, which is helpful for international calls. You have to download the Vonage Extensions app and you can create a Boomerang list with up to 10 contacts. Whenever you receive a call from those contacts, Vonage answers automatically and tells them to hang up, so that Vonage can call them back using your Vonage number. This way, those contacts will not be charged at all
- Mobile app compatible with iOS and Android devices