Cars are high maintenance and costly purchases. And the standard manufacturer’s warranty is usually not enough to cover every type of problem your car might run into. Or, even if does, it doesn’t cover you for more than 3, 5 or 7 years if you are lucky to get such a good deal. Most of us keep our cars way long after the manufacturer’s warranty expires, which means we are left exposed, unless we extend our warranty one way or another.
The benefits of getting an extended car warranty
Extended car warranties (properly named vehicle service contracts) are very useful especially for people who have used cars. They are a good backup in case your used car breaks down in any way, because you won’t be forced to pay huge amounts of money all at once.
Extended car warranty services usually come with lots of useful benefits: roadside assistance, reimbursement for a rental car, towing services, money for hotel and more.
Extended car warranty services are useful for new cars as well, because the standard warranty usually only covers the most basic parts of the vehicle, such as engine, transmission, etc. Extended car warranties cover more than that (depending on the service and the plan you choose).
Here are the best extended car warranty services to consider:
- Endurance. It is one of the most comprehensive services you can find. It has 4 plans you can choose from and the company works with Wesco Insurance. Regardless of the plan you opt for, your engine, transmission, drive axle assembly, transfer unit and other important parts will be covered. Your car has to have a max. of 160,000 miles on it in order for you to benefit from coverage from Endurance. The company offers up to 5 years of coverage and covers the entire United States and Canada.
- Autopom. This is a great service especially because it covers almost any type of vehicle, with up to 225,000 miles on it. Autopom can cover your car up to 5 years and you get 5 plans to choose from. Four of them are suitable for used cars. Among others, this service reimburses you for a rental car for up to 5 days ($35/day), offers a 30-day money back guarantee and it also covers Canada.
- Carchex. This company has over 20 years of experience in the industry and it offers coverage for up to 7 years, with their most expensive plan. Carchex has 5 available plans and you can spread your payment over 2 years. You get a 30-day money back guarantee and rental car reimbursement, also for up to 5 days, but just $30/day. Unfortunately, Carchex doesn’t cover Canada, which might be a deal breaker for some people.
- Delta Auto. This service covers Canada, too and accepts cars with up to 140,000 miles on it. Delta Auto has 3 plans to choose from and all of them include services such as free towing, fuel assistance, locksmith on-call. This company charges some of the lowest deductible fees on the market.
- EasyCare may not look like the most appealing choice at the first glance, but it is an experienced company and a reliable and reputable one. EasyCare is a bit strict in terms of what kind of vehicles it covers, in that it only accepts cars that are 2 years old, with up to 24,000 miles on them. They offer extended warranty for up to 5 years/120,000 miles and they offer 4 plans to choose from. Their cheapest plan covers all the important parts of your car, such as engine, transmission, gaskets, seals and drive axle. EasyCare offers roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement for up to 6 days ($30/day), which is more than the average of 5 days.