Traditional faxing has pretty much gone extinct, since internet has become the main pillar for all forms of communication. And while e-mailing is still at the top, faxing is alive, too, but, just like everything else, it adapted to the new technologies.
Traditional faxing has now been replaced by online faxing, also known as e-faxing (electronic) or internet faxing.
How does online faxing work?
Online faxing is basically the technology of sending and receiving faxes using internet instead of telephone connection. What that means is that you can send/receive faxes using just a computer connected to the internet and a printer.
While online faxing services don’t need a fax machine to do their job, they can still exchange faxes with traditional, phone-based fax machines. Online faxing services make it possible for you to send any type of document that can also be sent via e-mail.
All you have to do is sign up for an online faxing service and you’re all set. You don’t have to spend money on hardware or software of any kind.
What are the benefits of online faxing?
There are several advantages to using internet faxing over traditional, phone-based faxing. Here are the most notable benefits of online faxing:
- Online faxing will save you a lot of money in the long run. The reason for that is the fact that it is a paperless service. You’ll no longer need to buy paper in bulk and you don’t have to invest in fax machines either. As we’ve already mentioned it, all you have to do is choose an online faxing service to your liking and subscribe to a plan. You’ll pay a monthly fee and enjoy the benefits of internet faxing, with no additional costs and headaches
- Internet faxing is more user-friendly. The hosted online faxing service will pretty much take care of everything, you don’t have to download or install anything. Everything is easy to use
- Online faxing has a smaller impact on the environment. A paperless service means no more paper, which means more trees will be saved. Millions of trees are cut every year just for paper production
- Online faxing is more flexible than traditional faxing, because it works over the internet. That means you can fax from anywhere in the world where there’s a reliable internet connection at your disposal
- It is less time-consuming. Sending a fax using a fax machine can be frustrating and inefficient, because fax machines are more or less outdated and slow. They also require constant maintenance, which means wasted time and money
- Online faxing is secure. Some people still prefer to keep it old-school when it comes to their faxing needs. Their main concern is security and the fact that internet faxing is not as safe as traditional faxing. While that may have been a potential problem in the early years of internet faxing, it is no longer a reason for concern. Online faxing is now really secure, because it uses strong encryption methods and private and secure connections
Nextiva vFax – is it worth it?
While a lot of people associate the Nextiva brand with VoIP services, this company also has its own online faxing service, under their vFax brand.
Nextiva is a reputable name when it comes to communication services. The company has more than 12 years of experience on the market. Nextiva is based in Arizona, US.
Nextiva vFax is a very affordable online faxing service. It has some of the lowest rates in the industry.
Before presenting you the available plans offered by Nextiva vFax, you should know this service includes a free 30-day trial. This trial gives you the opportunity to personally try the service before subscribing to one of the plans.
There are three plans offered by Nextiva vFax. All these plans offer monthly or annually billing, depending on your preference.
Here are the plans with the monthly billing option:
Single User: $8.95/month
Includes up to 500 pages/month
Small Business: $17.95/month/billed monthly
Includes up to 1,000 pages/month
Business Pro: $34.95/month
Includes up to 3,000 pages/month
The annual billing is $4.95/month for Single User, $12.95/month for Small Business and $29.95 for Business Pro.
Main benefits of using Nextiva vFax
Nextiva vFax is a bit limited in features. It lacks some features you can find in other providers, such as a mobile app or the option to fax outside the US and Canada. However, this online faxing service still comes with its pros. Here are the most important ones:
- Nextiva vFax allows you to use your old fax machine to send and receive faxes, if you are willing to purchase their Nextiva Fax Bridge. You’ll have to pay an extra one-time fee of $150 for it
- This service has a really straightforward and user-friendly interface, so you’ll instantly figure out how to send and receive faxes
- Nextiva vFax is very serious about security and uses two-level security protection. It is password protected and also uses strong 256-bit SSL encryption
- It is really affordable compared to other faxing services
- Nextiva vFax allows number porting and the process is really simple. The service offers toll-free numbers and local numbers for the entire US and Canada
- It supports a lot of file formats: you can turn MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint files into fax messages and it supports a lot of other formats as well: PDF, RTF, TXT, HTML, XML, PCL, EPS, TIFF, JPEG GIF, PNG. There are around 20 formats accepted
- Nextiva vFax stores faxes for 6 months
- You can receive fax notifications on your e-mail, for up to 6 people. You can also receive SMS alerts
- You can schedule when to send faxes and you don’t have to have your computer turned at all times. When a fax is received, it will be received by the server and saved on your dedicated remote storage, so you don’t have to download it right away
- Nextiva vFax is compatible with all major web browsers, as long as they have Adobe Flash enabled. You can use it with Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer and others