According to the 2019 Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Consumer Sentinel Data Book, identity scams are the most reported scams in the US in 2019 with it being 20.33% amongst all reported scams. Even more alarming, the same report also indicates that there's a 46% increase of identity scams from 2018 to 2019 and it shows no signs of slowing down.
There are multiple types of identity theft out there and all of us are susceptible to all of them. There's a financial identity theft where the criminal uses your identification to purchase stuff on credit or even getting a loan in your name.
There's a medical identity theft where they purchase prescription drugs or use your medical insurance coverage. And many other kinds of identity scams that would jeopardize both your financial situation and also your reputation.
Fortunately, there are companies out there with its sole purpose is keeping your identity safe so you could engage in any commercial transaction with peace of mind. LifeLock is one such company.
LifeLock is a cybersecurity company that focuses on protection against identity theft. They offer very comprehensive protection, ranging from a system that would alert you whenever unusual activity happens in your credit card or checking account, to coverage for lawyers if your case has to be brought to court.
LifeLock was co-founded by Robert Maynard and Todd Davis in Tempe, Arizona. The company has been around since 2005 and during its decades of operation, they had successfully raised more than $100 million in four series of funding. In our investigations we have found that Lifelock was reviewed and given one of the highest ratings in our listings of companies to protect your identity online!
The fund was then used to acquire other cybersecurity company called ID Analytics and also a digital wallet company called Lemon Wallet. All of this was done to further expand their capabilities in giving the best and most reliable cybersecurity service to their customers.
In 2017, the computer security giant Symantec acquire LifeLock for $2.3 billion. Two years later, they officially change the name of the joint company to be NortonLifelock Inc. Now users could either purchase a stand-alone LifeLock product or get a bundle of their famous Norton 360 security with LifeLock in it.
- Privacy monitor tool. With this feature, LifeLock would be able to monitor the internet and tells you all the places where your personal information publicly available so that you could remove or suppresses it if you want.
- Dark web monitoring. LifeLock will monitor the dark web in case your personal information ever shows up in the Dark Web identity marketplace to be sold to the highest bidder.
- Lost wallet protection. When you lost your wallet, and your identifications with it, you can contact LifeLock and they would immediately cancel or replace your credit cards, insurance cards, etc.
- LifeLock identity alert system. This feature allows LifeLock to instantly send you alerts through phone, texts, email, and various other ways to contact you whenever they think that you've become a victim of identity theft.
- Stolen funds reimbursement. If you have funds stolen from you by identity theft, LifeLock will reimburse your money. The amount is varied depending on your chosen plans. You'll get up to $25,000 for the basic plan, up to $100,000 for the LifeLock Advantage plan, and up to $1 million for the ultimate plus plan.
- Credit card, checking, and saving account activity alert. LifeLock would also keep an eye on your credit card, checking, and saving account and will immediately notify you whenever there's a suspicious transaction happen.
- Coverage for lawyers and experts. If you've become a victim of identity theft, LifeLock would provide the necessary lawyers and experts (with $1 million worth of coverage for all plans) to help resolve your case as fast as possible.
- Identity restoration support. If LifeLock found that your identity has been breached, they would immediately assign a restoration specialist to help restore your identity.
- Fictitious identity monitoring. LifeLock would scan the names and address of people connected to your social security numbers and keep a close eye on them to prevent criminals from building fictitious identities and committing frauds with it.
- Bank account takeover alerts. An expert identity theft could take over your bank account and make crucial changes to it, like adding a new account or closed an existing one, etc. LifeLock will monitor and notify you whenever something suspicious like that happens.
- Three-bureau credit monitoring and report. LifeLock works together with three leading credit bureau (Equifax, Experion, and TransUnion) to monitor the changes in your credit and to prevent frauds. As an added benefit, you will also get a comprehensive report from three of them annually.
- Affordable. LifeLock has three kinds of plans for its customers. The basic plan cost $9.99, the LifeLock Advantage plan cost $19.99, and the Ultimate Plus plan costs $29.99. Each tier of plans offers more features, coverage, and benefits than the one before but even the most basic plan would give you decent identity theft protection. One thing for sure, given the breadth of their protection, they put relatively affordable price tags on all of their plans.
- 24/7 customer service. Non-stop alerts and monitoring are the pride of LifeLock as a company. So it's only natural that they also have an excellent customer service that the customer could contact 24/7 to report if anything bad or suspicious happening with their identification.
- The most comprehensive services. When it comes to protecting you from identity thefts, LifeLock goes above and beyond for its customers. They offer vast protection, especially in their plus plan, which includes court records scanning, USPS address change verification, and sex offender registry list, just to name a few. They may seem like a novelty thing, but they could be an indispensable safety to your identity.
If you worry about being a victim of identity scams, which we all should, then you should certainly use the protection offered by LifeLock.
LifeLock offers some of the most comprehensive services at relatively affordable prices. They also have coverage for you just in case you do become a victim of identity scams, like stolen funds reimbursement and lawyer's expense.
Identity theft could happen to anybody at any time so it's never too late to get yourself protection from it, and LifeLock is certainly one of the best options in the market right now.