A washing machine is a long-term investment, so you have to choose it carefully. This is an item you are going to use for years and years to come, maybe even on a daily basis, so it is important to choose a product that is high-quality and durable.
What kind of washing-machine should you go with: front-load or top-load washer?
There are two types of washers out there: front-load washers and top-load washers. Both of them have their own benefits and disadvantages.
Here are the main advantages of front-load washers:
- They are gentler on your laundry because they don’t have that agitator that is usually rough on the clothes
- They are more energy-efficient than top-load washers
- They usually have a larger capacity than top-load washers
- They are less noisy than top-load washers
Here are the advantages of top-load washing machines:
- It is easier to load/unload your laundry in them, because you don’t have to bend; if you know you have back, joint problems or others that will manifest when you bend, you might one to go with a top-load washer. It is easier to use and more comfortable
- They are better for tighter spaces because they don’t take up that much space
- They are usually cheaper than front-load washers
- Although many top-loaders come with the agitator we mentioned above, some newer top-load washers have an impeller instead, which resembles an agitator but it is shorter; those models are not as rough on the laundry
Miele washing machines – Are they good?
Miele is a German home appliance brand with more than 120 years of experience in the industry. Miele is known to only manufacture high-end products. They make a wide range of appliances, from kitchen ones to vacuums, washing machines and more.
Miele is especially renowned for its front-load washing machines. All its models are very long-lasting, efficient and well-built.
One of the most popular front-end washers from Miele is the WDB020 Eco.
The WDB020 is a front-load washer with a capacity of 15.4 pounds. It is one of the most energy-efficient washers on the market, with an A+++ rating. This washing machine has an annual energy consumption of 175kWh and an annual water consumption of 10.340 liters.
The Eco mode on the WDB020 does take a long time to complete though: 3 hours per cycle.
This washer weighs around 200 pounds and has a maximum spin speed of 1,400 RPM.
The Miele WDB020 can be purchased for approximately $800.
There are 12 wash programs to choose from with the WDB020: cottons, minimum iron, delicates, shirts, woolens (hand-washable), Express 20, dark garments/denim, outerwear, proofing, cottons eco, separate rinse/starch, drain/spin.
Some of biggest selling points of the WDB020 are:
- Its energy efficiency
- The self-clean wash cycle
- The delay start (up to 24 hours)
- Its capsule technology; the best results can be obtained by using Miele’s washing capsules, which are superior to normal detergents. These capsules have a dedicated drawer and they come in many types, depending on the type of laundry you want cleaned: silk, outdoor, down, sports capsules and more