Dentists all around the world agree that an electric toothbrush has scientifically proven to be more effective in cleaning your teeth. The electric motor that powered the rapid brushing movements allowed for a much more powerful and thorough brushing session than any other conventional toothbrush ever could.
So if you are still using your old manual toothbrush, the time has come to transition into a much more reliable toothbrush, the electric toothbrush. That being said, not all toothbrushes are suitable for somebody who has never used an electric toothbrush before. You should look for something that was purposely built for beginners.
There are a lot of electric toothbrushes in the market right now that fit that exact criteria. But out of all of them, one of the best ones has to be the Sonicare 1100 electric toothbrush from Phillips. Here you'll find the features, the pros and cons, and everything else that you need to know about it.
The Sonicare brand of electric toothbrush has been around for a long time. It was started by a couple of entrepreneurs and university professors as a small company called GEMTech in 1987. After several trial and error, they finally managed to create an electric toothbrush called Sonicare in 1992.
In 2000, a division of Phillips that focused on domestic appliances and personal care acquired the company along with the Sonicare brand and changed the name into Philips Oral Healthcare, Inc. Phillips further refined and improved the Sonicare electric toothbrush until it became one of the leading brands in the industry.
Philips Sonicare utilizes something called the "Sonic Technology" to clean your teeth. This technology creates a side to side movement of the brush heads. Sonicare 1100 is a beginner line of electric toothbrushes from Phillips. It is aimed to be very simple and user friendly so that everybody can use it.
- Sonic technology. As mentioned above, Sonicare 1100 utilizes the Sonic technology, just like most other electric toothbrushes from Sonicare, to power its brush head. The Sonic technology creates a side-to-side movement that enables it to easily clean areas that are hard to reach through other kinds of movements.
- Rechargeable battery. With the Philips Sonicare 1100, you don't have to worry about your toothbrush running out of power. Because this particular toothbrush is equipped with a rechargeable battery. That means if it's ever low in power, you only need to leave it docked to its charging station overnight, and it'll be back to full capacity .
- Long-lasting battery life. What makes the battery of Sonicare 1100 very reliable is not only due to the fact that it is rechargeable, but also because it could last for a whopping 14-days straight on one charge. That is of course under a normal usage of two brushing sessions a day and two minutes each.
- Quadpacer. For a more effective brushing, the dentist advised us to divide our teeth into four different sections, the upper left and right and the lower left and right. We should focus our attention on each section for 30 seconds. The quadpacer will give a beeping sound to let us know when it is time to move on to the next section.
- 2-minutes smart timer. The most optimal brushing time according to dentists is two minutes. So if the quadpacer will let us know when to change a section after 30 seconds, the smart timer will make a sound when the two minutes brushing session ends.
- Swappable brush heads. A brush head will degrade over time if you use the toothbrush every day. But with Sonicare 1100, whenever your brush head seems worn out, all you need to do is simply swap it with another brush head. Sonicare has a lot of brush heads that you can choose from.
- Easy Start program. Sonicare 1100 is intended to be the toothbrush for those who have never used an electric toothbrush before. That's why rather than surprise you with all of the powerful brush movements at once, the easy start program will make it so the power will gradually increase over the course of 14 days to help you get used to it.
- Affordable. Despite all of the great features packed inside the Sonicare 1100, Philips remembers that this product is geared towards beginner users and that's why they put an affordable price tag on it. When I wrote this article, the price of a Sonicare 1100 on Amazon was just $24.97.
- Easy to use. Since Sonicare 1100 is a beginner electric toothbrush, Sonicare purposely designed this toothbrush to be easy to use. The ergonomic design and the simple and straight forward functionality is what makes Sonicare 1100 incredibly user friendly and easy to use.
- Limited brush options. As discussed earlier, you can swap the Sonicare 1100 brush head with other types of brush heads from Sonicare. Unfortunately, Sonicare 1100 uses a sort of zig zag stem that they called snap-on stem. It is not the most common stem, so the brush heads options are somewhat more limited than other models.
As an entry level electric toothbrush, there's not much that you can find inside the box of Philips Sonicare 1100. You'd only find the essential items inside. When you first open a brand new box of Sonicare 1100, you'd find the main toothbrush handle, the charging station, and some documents.
If you plan to bring your Sonicare 1100 traveling with you, you would need to get a proper travel case. There are lots of travel cases that you can find online, and Sonicare also has some options as well. But the most important thing is the size. It needs to be able to accommodate both the toothbrush and the charging station as well.
An electric toothbrush has been proven to be able to clean your teeth a hundred times better than a conventional toothbrush. So if you still use a manual toothbrush, it is time for you to transition to a proper electric toothbrush.
But not all toothbrushes are suitable for a beginner. You should use something that was purposely designed to be used by new users like Philips Sonicare 1100. It is equipped with all of the essential features, it is easy to use, and it is also very affordable. It does have its cons, but it is by no means a deal breaker. So you should definitely give Philips Sonicare 1100 a try.