Drip coffee makers are among the most widely used types of coffee makers in the world. They are affordable, easy to use and clean and some of them come equipped with useful automatic features.
The main parts of a drip coffee maker are the water reservoir, the carafe and the filter, which can be disposable (made of paper) or reusable (made of metal or plastic).
Drip coffee makers were introduced in 1954, when the first electrical drip brewer was patented by a German inventor. Since their invention, drip coffee makers went through a lot of changes and improvements in both design and technology. Nowadays, they come equipped with all sorts of useful features such as built-in grinders, timers, programs and more.
What to look for when choosing a drip coffee maker
There are various aspects to pay attention to when shopping for the best drip coffee maker for your needs. Here are the most important factors to consider:
- Drip coffee makers are not that expensive, you can purchase them for as low as $15 or you can pay hundreds of dollars on one, depending on its features. While you don’t want to overspend, you shouldn’t go for the cheapest machine either, because you want something durable and high-quality
- Pay attention to the pot. You can opt for a glass pot or a thermal one, which keeps your coffee warm for longer periods of time
- Size and capacity. Depending on where you want to place the coffee maker, you should opt for a size that meets your space requirements. In terms of capacity, drip coffee makers can prepare from a single cup to more than 10 cups at a time
- Type of filter. When it comes to filters, you usually have to decide between disposable paper filters, gold filters (which are pricier but usually the best), or nylon, which has to be replaced more often
- This is a complex topic, as drip coffee makers now come with various features. Some of them might be more useful to you than others. Some important features to look out for are a timer, temperature and strength settings, self-cleaning feature and more.
Braun KF7170SI BrewSense – Main features
The BrewSense from Braun is an electric drip-coffee maker designed and engineered in Germany. Braun is a reputable consumer appliance brand and it has been on the market since 1921.
The BrewSense is a very popular drip coffee maker because it is packed with useful features, it looks really good in any kitchen and has a very attractive price.
Price. The BrewSense can be ordered on Amazon for only $75, with free shipping included. The manufacturer offers a 2-year limited warranty for this coffee maker.
The BrewSense has a large capacity of 12 cups, which makes it a good option for larger families or smaller offices.
The design is simple and clean, but elegant, thanks to the stainless steel finish. The BrewSense features a glass carafe, a permanent Braun gold-tone filter, an LCD display with a digital clock, a power button and 9 controls.
From the settings you can adjust the temperature and strength of the coffee, you can program the coffee maker to prepare coffee at a certain time, you can set the clock or enable the self-cleaning feature of the drip coffee maker.
The programmable timer lets you schedule the BrewSense up to a 24-hour, so, if you want, you can set the coffee maker in the evening to start making the coffee in the morning. This way you’ll have fresh coffee when you wake up.
The strength of the brew can be set to ‘regular’ or ‘bold’.
Another function is the ‘1-4’ one. With this feature you can prepare only from 1 to 4 cups of coffee at a time, if you don’t want to make 12 cups at once.
The Braun BrewSense has dishwasher safe parts, which makes cleaning the machine even easier.
All in all, it is a very complex drip coffee maker at a very affordable price, so we definitely recommend it.