Blenders have become more than just a trend or a whim, they are now an essential part of our lifestyle. They motivate us to eat healthier and be healthier. They are versatile and stimulate our cooking imagination. You can use them for a plethora of recipes: for smoothies, desserts, purees, soups and much more.
But what should you pay attention to when shopping for a blender and how do you choose the best one for your needs? Here are a few tips that might make the whole process easier for you:
- What type of blender should you go for. Well, there are 2 main types: jar blenders/food processors and hand blenders. The first ones are more versatile and multifunctional (they work for smoothies, soups, purees, etc.), but they are also a bit more expensive. Hand or immersion blenders are handheld and they are mainly useful for pureeing and mixing. They can be cordless or electric
- Depending on your needs and available kitchen space, you can opt for a smaller or bigger one. They usually range from 1 to 3 liters. If you have a larger family or want to be able to prepare several servings at once, you should opt for a larger capacity
- Container material. The container is usually made of plastic or glass. Glass jars don’t retain smells and stains, they look better, but they are heavier and pricier. They are also easier to break than plastic jars
- Number of watts. This one varies from as little as 500W to more than 1500W. The higher the number of watts, the more powerful the blender and the more expensive. More powerful blenders will make sure your food is blended well and fast, so you don’t risk finding any left out chunks of ingredients
- Included features. Blenders come equipped with various features. Some of them may be useful to you, others may not. Decide what your priorities are, so that you don’t spend more than you have to on something you’re not going to use. Some features to look for in a blender are: pulse mode, presets for frozen drinks, ice crushing, adjustable speed
- How easy is it to clean the blender. This is an important aspect to consider, because you’ll most likely have to clean the blender after each use. So you have to make sure the cleaning process is easy and quick, otherwise you’ll get discouraged and won’t even want to use the blender anymore
- Check out the warranty of the product. Reputable companies that make high-quality blenders believe in their merchandise. They are not afraid to offer a long warranty, which is a good sign that the appliance is well built and durable
- You may not think about this one too much, but some blenders are really big. Do some measurements and make sure your blender fits on your counter, especially if you know you have a smaller kitchen or limited space
- Make sure the lid on top of the container fits tightly, to avoid any accidents/spills during use.